An essential way to smooth out nutrient imbalances.
If sensitive to nutrient imbalances, beware megadoses — most multivitamins have them. If a gentle multivitamin presents challenges, consider taking it every other day, or 2x/week. A gentle “multi” can be the foundation of your improvement.
The most successful multivitamin I’ve found with my clients — and myself — is the Naturelo. These multi’s are all about balance.
- NATURELO One Daily (iherb) My Personal Rating (MPR): 9.8/10
Vitamin C supplementation is wise for most people trying to improve their health.
- If tolerable, 1-2x/daily doses, 400-500mg each dose, is wise.
- If very sensitive, consider taking a small daily dose (100mg or less), or every other day.
Vitamin C can deplete sodium and copper in a depleted body.
Food-Based Vitamin C
It is not essential to take food-based Vitamin C, like is popularly argued. However, this is a fantastic product, combining two forms of Vitamin C: ascorbic acid and food-based. I’ve had great results with this one.
- SOLARAY Vitamin C — 1:1 Ratio (iherb) — (MPR): 9.8/10
Liposomal Vitamin C
A fat-soluble form of Vitamin C that seems to absorb and remain with the body a bit longer than typical water-soluble forms. Not a true liposomal product, but does behave very similarly. During my recovery, I noticed this product’s effects more than traditional liposomal C.
- SOLARAY Liposomal Vitamin C (iherb) — (MPR): 9.6/10
Fat-Solubles (D A K E)
It’s not essential to take fat-solubles daily — but it is essential to understand them, and make sure levels are not low. One or two moderate doses of each per week is a conservative, safer maintenance dose. If very deficient, you might need more — perhaps daily supplementation — for several weeks or longer. It is very easy to oversupplement these four nutrients — they’re fat-soluble, so they stay in the body a long time, causing severe symptoms including insomnia and malaise.
Low Vitamin D causes all sorts of metabolic, digestive, mood, hormonal, and sleep problems. Do not allow Vitamin D deficiency to derail your health. However, oversupplementation is extremely easy to achieve. Know what you’re doing when you supplement. Vitamin D depletes magnesium, Vitamin A, and sometimes calcium.
- Sunlight (UV Index 4+) — (MPR): 10/10
- UV Bulbs — (MPR): 6/10
- Must contain UVB to produce Vitamin D. A high UVA-to-UVB ratio mimics sunlight, and prevents too-high Vitamin D production. UV light degrades Vitamin A in the body, while Vitamin D “opposes Vitamin A.”
- Supplements (MPR): 4/10
Low Vitamin A can cause debillitating insomnia, digestive issues, hormonal imbalances, and skin problems. Vitamin A depletes Vitamin D and zinc, and slightly boosts iron levels. Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant, protecting polyunsaturated fats from harmful oxidation.
- Pure Encapsulations (amazon) — 10000IU (MPR) = 10/10
- Carlson Labs (iherb) — 10000IU (MPR) = 10/10
- Bluebonnet Nutrition (iherb) — 10000IU (MPR) = 10/10
There are two forms of Vitamin K: K1 & K2. K1 supports clotting, while K2 supports hormonal balance and keeps excess calcium out of blood. K1 is found in leafy greens, K2 is largely absent from the diet, save for a few fermented dishes. Vitamin K generally supports healthy calcium blood levels, and opposes Vitamin D levels.
- DOCTOR’S BEST K2 (iherb) (MPR) = 10/10
- Life Extension K2 (Low Dose) (iherb) (MPR) = 10/10
- Jarrow MK-7 (iherb) (Take 2-3x/week for maintenance)* (MPR) = 10/10
- CALIFORNIA GOLD Full Spectrum K2 (iherb) (MPR) = 9/10
- Thorne K2 Liquid Drops (iherb) (For maintenance, use no more than 2-3 drops, 1-2x/week)* (MPR) = 9/10
*Maintenance doses are less likely to create imbalances.
Vitamin E is a hormonal powerhouse, while protecting polyunsaturated fats from harmful oxidation. Too much Vitamin E causes insomnia and other problems.
- Jarrow Famil-E (iherb) (MPR) = 10/10
*I love this Vitamin E.
The first four minerals are essential virtually daily for optimal health. You may not tolerate one (or more). Conversely, you may need lots of one (or more). The only true way to know is to try: Take some, observe symptoms. It’s essential to understand relationships between these minerals, especially when the body has been chronically depleted.
1st Four Minerals
Hypothyroidism and sick building syndrome seem to cause the body to waste sodium. Many folks require large amounts of sodium until their inflammation and root causes are addressed.
The general public is incredibly deficient in potassium. Potassium is the partner of sodium, and there balances/opposes/depletes sodium.
Most forms of calcium are not very absorbable. MCHA is.
- PURE ENCAPSULATIONS Calcium MCHA (amazon)* (MPR) = 10.10
- cheaper option: SOURCE NATURALS Calcium MCHA (iHerb) (MPR) = 9.5/10
Essential for virtually every biological function. When deficient can cause insomnia. Will deplete Vitamin D and calcium.
- DOCTOR’S BEST Chelated Magnesium (iHerb) (MPR) = 10/10
- This form is a blend of magnesium glycinate and lysinate.
- DOCTOR’S BEST Magnesium L-Threonate (iHerb) (MPR) = 9.5/10
- DOUBLEWOOD Magnesium L-Threonate (amazon) (MPR) = 9.5/10
Incredibly pro-immunity and anti-pathogen. Supports testosterone. Dramatically depletes copper, iron, Vit A, and Vit D.
- SOLGAR Zinc Picolinate 22mg (iHerb) (MPR) = 9.5/10
- PURE ENCAPSULATIONS Zinc Picolinate 15mg (iHerb) (MPR) = 10/10
Powerfully anti-microbial, boosts iron levels and Vitamin A levels. Depletes copper.
- NATURE’S WAY Chlorofresh 90pills — (iHerb) (MPR) = 10/10
- CHLOROXYGEN — (iHerb) (MPR) = 10/10
- WORLD ORGANIC Chlorophyll — (iHerb) (MPR) = 8.5/10
Essential for immunity and thyroid function. Is easily overdone, be especially wary of megadosing. Depletes selenium.
- OREGON’S WILD HARVEST Kelp — (iHerb) (MPR) = 10/10
Rarely needed in large quantities. Supports glutathione levels. Depletes iodine. Is easily overdone — foul body odor is symptom of overdose.
Very antimicrobial. Many people struggle to tolerate and balance their sulfur. Is very easily overdone via supplementation, be wary of overhyped products/recommendations.
- NATURAL FACTORS MSM Joint Formula (iHerb) (MPR) = 4/10
Balances and depletes sulfur. Only needed in tiny amounts. Should not be supplemented in large amounts daily. Will generally deplete all minerals. May be required more frequently to reduce high sulfur levels.
- THORNE Molybdenum Glycinate (MPR) = 10/10
I no longer consider the activated forms of B-vitamins to be wise for most people, because they are too intensely absorbed and create imbalances far too easily. Instead, the basic forms of B-vitamins are sufficient for nearly all nutritional needs.
All B-vitamins will deplete the other B-vitamins, so they must be taken in a balanced way. The B-vitamins also generally deplete sodium, except for B1, which can raise it. Single B-vitamin products should rarely be taken more than 1-2x/week, and should always be balanced with all other B’s.
This is a fantastic, low-medium dose of all B’s, though the extra-sensitive folks will still struggle to tolerate it. I take this about 3x/week.
- THOMPSON B-Complex (iherb) (MPR) = 8.5/10
Perhaps the most important B-vitamin. Deficient in many diets and foods. Thiamin Hcl is the superior form for most everyone. Other fat-soluble forms (TTFD and benfotiamine) are too intense and can be harmful. Can deplete all other B-vitamins, especially B2.
- NOW B1 (Thiamin HCl) — 100mg (amazon) (MPR) = 9/10
- Nature’s Way (Thiamin HCl) — 100mg (amazon) (MPR) = 9/10
- Any TTFD or Allithiamine product (MPR) = 2/10
Great for energy production. Can deplete B1, especially.
- Nature’s Way B2 (Riboflavin) — (iHerb) (MPR) = 9/10
Essential for fat metabolism, especially, and blood flow, as well as feelings of relaxation. Megadosing this is popular, but not without risk; Be safe, use smaller doses.
- Source Naturals Niacinamide 100mg (MPR) = 7/10
Critical for liver detoxification. Even moderate doses can cause mood disruptions and irritability.
- Nature’s Way Choline & Inositol 500mg/500mg (iHerb) (MPR) = 7/10
Essential for the skin’s natural barrier. Other B-vitamins — especially biotin — can deplete this, causing acne breakouts. More supplemental B5 can resolve this, along with fixing digestive issues which cause nutrient depletion.
- NATURE’S WAY Pantethine 250mg (iHerb) (MPR) = 4/10
An essential B-vitamin for sleep and detoxification, but one that is also easily overdone. Avoid megadosing B6, even by accident: B6 is commonly sneaked into supplements containing other ingredients.
- NOW B6 (Pyridoxine HCl) — (iHerb) (MPR) = 3/10
Essential for hair and collagen, but can deplete all other B-vitamins, especially B5 (causing skin flare-ups). Do not take isolated biotin daily.
Is often taken with choline for optimal results. No longer considered a B-vitamin.
- Nature’s Way Choline & Inositol 500mg/500mg (iHerb) (MPR) = 7/10
- same product as B4
Essential for detoxification, is easily overdone, and few people require much supplementation.
- Jarrow Methylfolate (iHerb) (MPR) = 1/10
B12 is not readily absorbed in the intestine, so sublingual forms are superior. B12 depletes all other B-vitamins, and can cause acne breakouts in large doses. There is no need to megadose this nutrient, in fact it can cause problems, despite its popularity. Can also deplete lithium.
- Jarrow Methyl-B12 Lozenges (iHerb) (MPR) = 4/10
Needing to create your own program?
Read ‘Your Program’ to get started.
This page is a part of the Pillars of Health — Nutrients.